Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 361: Schindler's List



Directed By- Steven Spielberg

Written By- Steven Zaillian; Based on the Book- Schindler's Ark By- Thomas Keneally 

Starring- Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Caroline Goodall, Jonathan Sagall, Embeth Davidtz

Run Time- 3 hr. 14 min.

Critics Review- "Rising brilliantly to the challenge of this material and displaying an electrifying creative intelligence  Mr. Spielberg has made sure that neither he nor the Holocaust will ever be though of in the same way again. - Janet Maslin "New York Times"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 97% [CERTIFIED FRESH] Audience- 96%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 5 stars

My Review-

This is still one Steven Spielberg I was surprised I had not seen yet, even though out of all his films I have seen from this one may not be at the top of my list, I still really liked it and how he had it filmed and how he chose to portray such a terrible time in history. I have a few movies dealing with the Holocaust or the aftermath of it but none of them were as powerful and violent as this one, Spielberg and whoever worked on it with him did not hold back on the movie and that is a good thing for showing something like this to everyone. The movie has many great things about it; from the way that everything was portrayed, the acting, the filming especial the music that was used subtly every now and then. I really liked how it started off with Schindler being a man who only wanted money, turning into a man who saved thousands of Jews, now we may never really know what changed his mind (in the movie it was a little girl in a red coat), but I would really like to know what changed his mind to save all those people from being murdered. Even at over 3 hours a lot was put into the movie, important things, and somewhat not important things which I though was essential to the movie, if it was any shorter it would not have been as great as it was or as powerful when being viewed and after it has been viewed. One actor I was surprised that did not get much recognition for this movie was Sir Ben Kingsley, playing Schindler's accountant who helped save so many people, and with out him would not have been able to do anything. Kingsley played this character really well even though I did not know about the actual person, it seems like Kingsley did a great job doing this person justice. I believe this is when Neeson was at the height of his career, since nowadays he has been doing some crappy movies,. but this one, this movie showed what an amazing actor he can be and at times still can be. Since the movie was in black and white I really liked how the only thing in color was the little girl in the red coat, it was in that moment when for us as an audience and Neeson's character Schindler actually was able to see horror that he was in and how far it was going before that it was just business with the Jews. Even though it is over 3 hours the movie holds your attention for those 3 hours by showing the Nazi's dealing with the Jews, Schindler trying to figure out what to do and different story-lines throughout the movie with the Jews and their aftermath, after everything was over. One thing I really liked about the movie was that at the end of the film they showed the actors with the characters they portrayed while visiting the real life grave of Oskar Schindler, I really like when films do that, for me it brings more to the movie when it does that like with another movie I saw this year Argo. If you have never seen this movie from Spielberg, I suggest that you do. I think no other director would have been able to pull off a movie like except for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment