Monday, December 17, 2012

Day 352: Ruby Sparks




Directed By- Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris

Written By- Zoe Kazan

Starring- Paul Dano, Zoe Kazan, Chris Messina, Annette Benning, Antonio Banderas, Steve Coogan, Elliot Gould

Run Time- 1 hr. 43 min.

Critics Review- "A beguiling romantic fantasy about the creative process and its potential to quite literally take on a life of its own, Ruby Sparks performs an imaginative high-wire act with finesse and charm."- Todd McCarthy "Hollywood Reporter"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 79% [CERTIFIED FRESH]  Audience- 78%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 4 stars 

[WARNING MILD SPOILERS AHEAD]

My Review- 

This is a movie about what would happen if something you wrote came true, or in this case came to life. We all have a wild imagination, and in this film, Calvin's wild imagination of the perfect girl comes to life in with the main character Ruby, played by Zoe Kazan, who also wrote the film. I believe this is the first film that Kazan has written and its written well, I would also like to know did she write the main character Calvin with her boyfriend Paul Dano in mind, because this is one of the only other movies I liked him besides his role in There Will Be Blood, and Little Miss Sunshine; which is also directed by the same pair who directed this movie. This movie was casted well, even though some people had a smart part I enjoyed their role in the film such as Steve Coogan, Annette Benning and Antonio Banderas. I thought the older brother played by Chris Messina as a good choice, I think he does indie films well instead of big budgets ones, and with a character and film like this one he goes so well with it. I believe Messina is an underrated actor and hopefully soon he will start to get noticed more. I really liked the concept of the movie, when I first saw the trailer, because it was something I had never really scene in this way, I have in other movies, but they were mostly dramas or a horror movie, but not in a romantic comedy. I Think since because Dano and Kazan are dating, it was one of the reasons they had great chemistry on screen, they worked perfectly well together. I really liked how it showed how relationships work but in a different way, anything he wrote about her on his type writer, it happened to her or she ended up doing it. The climax of the movie is in the last 10 minutes which was one of the highlights of the movie. it was a great mixture of the right amount of comedy and emotion. I think the comedy worked really well when Dano and Messina were on screen interacting or when Dano first found what was going on. This one of the many Indie films that I enjoyed watching and glad I got to review it for my list this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment