Monday, December 3, 2012

Day 338: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein



Directed By- Charles Barton

Writer(s)- Robert Lees, John Grant, Fredric I. Rinaldo

Starring- Bud Abbot, Lou Costello, Lon Chaney Jr., Bela Lugosi, Glenn Strange, Lenore Aubert, Frank Ferguson

Run Time- 1 hr. 23 min.

Critics Review- "This is the best of the boys' efforts, allowing them to go for the nyuks yet never diminishing the standing of the classic Universal Studios monsters that figure in its plot."- Matt Brunson

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 91%  Audience- 81%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 5 stars

My Review-

I have always heard that this movie was funny, because it was the duo Abbott and Costello plus Universal's famous monsters and it was a good match, even thought this was my first time watching a Abbott and Costello film. From start to finish this film was funny non stop. I think due to the amazing chemistry and comedic timing of Abbott and Costello, especially Costello. It was really cool to see The Wolfman, Frankestein's monster and Dracula all in one movie, and also a comedy at that especially with Lugosi doing comedy as Dracula worked perfectly. This was the original movie to put Horror icons together and it worked so well I do not know what went wrong when other people tried to do the same thing years later. I like the plot of how Dracula wanted Wilbur's brain (Costello) because he was not to bright and if Frankenstein had it he would not be has brute has he used to be and would obey Dracula which was his plan all along. Which kind sucks because Wilbur was so awesome in the movie and he made me laugh the most in the movie. Since I do believe the movie is supposed to be a spoof of the monster movies, I liked how it was done, even though I did not like Dracula that much or Frankenstein it was still amazing to see them in this movie made me enjoy them even more. I think it was perfect to make it a comedy and not too much of a horror since they were making fun of themselves and not taking things to seriously.  I think if it took itself to seriously and had not been a comedy it would have not been that good, and now I can say that this can go on my list of favorite horror comedies maybe towards the top of the list, and I would love to watch more movies from this duo since they were really big during their time and they also have met more movies monsters and I would love to see how that all worked out. The little side bits made the movie even funnier such as Costello mimicking certain people, or when he would get into trouble unexpectedly and try to get out of it on his own even though he could not. This is one funny movie that should be put on any list to watch since it is a classic and should stay that way. I know I loved it and I hope other people who watch it they love it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment