Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 340: The Wolf Man (1941)



Directed By- George Waggner

Written By- Curtis Siodmak

Starring- Lon Chaney Jr., Warren William, Claude Rains, Evelyn Ankers, Ralph Bellamy, Bela Lugosi, Patric Knowles, Maria Ouspenskaya

Run Time- 1 hr. 9 min.

Critics Review- "A film of sometimes uncertain greatness that is nonetheless the most entertaining and effective Universal monster movie since Bride of Frankenstein."- Tim Brayton Antagony & Ecstasy"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 94% Audience- 79%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 4 1/2 stars

My Review-

For the Universal Monsters that I have seen which is now all three; Dracula, Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein and now The Wolf Man, I would have to say that I enjoyed this one a little bit for than the other two monsters but it was not better than The Bride of Frankenstein. One think that I really liked about this movie and more now because it is rarely done now a days is the in camera make-up. I thought when Chaney Jr. changed into The Wolf Man, his transformation was really cool becuase it was mostly done while filming too place and back then they did not have computers to do it so I appereciated a little more when it comes to these types of films. Since the movie was made in the 1940s and was a Universal Monster movie the acting was so-so like some of the other monster films, but I liked the main character more in this one than the others, since he was more afraid of what he was becoming or what he would do he made himself more likable and I wanted something good to come out at the end for him. I thought it was pretty cool how they put Bela Lugosi in the film as the other Wolf Man who would eventually turn Larry Talbot into the now iconic wolf man. Even though this movie was really short they got right to the point and did not waste anytime when it came to Talbot becoming the Wolf Man or getting bitten which I really liked. I think they used gypsies as part of the story line, maybe because people were afraid of them back then because they were pretty creepy in the movie especially the woman gypsy she creeped me out a little. This one classic movie that should be seen and I would love to watch it again, I do not know about the 2010 remake though.

No comments:

Post a Comment