Sunday, December 16, 2012

Day 351: The Perks of Being a Wallflower



Directed By- Stephen Chbosky

Written By- Stephen Chbosky; Based on his book of the same name

Starring- Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Emma Watson, Maw Whitman, Johnny Simmons, Kate Walsh, Dylan McDermott, Nina Dobrev, Paul Rudd, Joan Cusack

Run Time- 1 hr. 42 min

Critics Review- "Spikier than the average coming-of-age movie, this astute comedy-drama is packed with memorable characters and resonant situations. It's also strikingly intelligent, refusing to accept Hollywood's fake moralizing. And even better, it's funny and sexy."- Rich Cline "Contactmusic.com"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 85% [CERTIFIED FRESH] Audience- 94%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 5 stars

My Review-

This one movie as soon as I saw the trailer, I wanted to see the movie; because of the actors and because the movie seemed like it could be the first movie that took high school seriously and did not try to drama it up big time, it felt genuine and the characters felt real. I kind of regret not reading the book, I think if I had read it before hand I would have enjoyed the movie a lot more than I already did. I really like how the main character was writing letters to an unknown person about his life and how his first year of high school was going, for me it seemed like he was either writing to the reader (if you read the book), or to the viewer of the movie (if you only watched the movie). Either way Chbosky did a wonderful job, I think this is the first time that I have seen or heard of an author of a book adapting his own book into a screenplay and directing the movie which made it even better for those who ave read the book. I think it was as soon as the movie started I was pulled in and Logan Lerman as the main character of the movie had me the whole way through and I was really into his character and everyone he interacted with. Even if they were not in the movie a lot they made a really great impact such as Paul Rudd as the English teacher, and Charlie's parents played by McDermott and Walsh, even though they were in the movie for all of like 15 minutes they seemed like the right choice, I really liked Ezra Miller's character it is VASTLY different from the previous movie I watched with him which was We Need to Talk About Kevin, which frankly he creeped me out in that movie, in this one I really liked him and I really liked his story line of the movie, and thought it was good that it was essential to the story told from Charlie's perspective. What I also really liked is that how a lot of people can most likely relate to the movie or the book since we have all had our ups and downs and in high school, and this gave a real look at it with glamorizing like most movies about high school do. I really suggest this movie for everyone it has a mixture of both comedy, drama and in away you sort of relive what you went through in high school if you are able to relate to it. The music was also really great in the movie and went well with it, even though it was weird they had never heard of Bowie. Aside from some things here and there I did not like, I really really liked this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment