Saturday, August 25, 2012

Day 238: History of the World: Part I



Directed By- Mel Brooks

Written By- Mel Brooks

Starring- Mel Brooks, Gregory Hines, Dom DeLuise, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman,

Critics Review- "The fact that there has been no Part 2 is ample proof that God hates us all."- Widgett Walls "Needcoffee.com"

Rotten Tomatoes Ratings- Critics- 62% Audience- 79%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 4 1/2 stars

My Review-

Only Mel Brooks would do a movie like this, and with his type of humor and comedic timing. This movie was told in five different time periods, and done quite well according to his standards. One of my favorite segments of the movie was the Roman Empire one; because of a few things. Gregory Hines was in the segment and his really hilarious, followed by Dom Deluise playing his version of Caesar, and it was just making fun of the roman empire and everything that went wrong with it. Some of the parts were funny as well, but not as funny as I thought it would be, I did like the musical number though where it was called "The Spanish Inquisition," which was shown as a musical number rather than an actual piece and seeing all the different dance numbers and Mel Brooks singing was just pretty damn awesome. With some of the segments I wish they had been a little funnier than others well some just were just well for me stomach almost hurting funny. Out of most of the Mel Brooks movies I have seen this is in my top 3 of all his films after Spaceballs, and Blazing Saddles though those two are possibly his best ones. This one will have it's place in my collection once it comes out on Blu Ray. I recommend this movie if you have not seen it its very funny and a is a great look at the funny side of our history of the world; from having 15 commandments instead of 10, the cavemen never really got smarted and the Great Dom Deluise is the emperor of Rome could you ask for anymore? oh and one more thing Orson Welles narrated the whole movie which made it like 10x better than it already was after it started.

No comments:

Post a Comment