Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 222: Another Earth



Directed By- Mike Cahill

Writer(s)- Mike Cahill, Brit Marling

Starring- William Mapother, Brit Marling

Critics Review- "Another Earth is one of the most low-tech, low-budget, scaled-down and engrossing sci-fi movies ever to hit theaters."- Claudia Puig "USA Today"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 64% Audience- 68%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 4 1/2 stars

My Review-

If you have ever seen the trailer to this movie, it is kind of deceiving. This movie is nothing I expected it to be, it was totally different in a good way I really liked it. Some of my favorite scenes were when the narrator Richard E. Berendzen who is an actual American Scientist would come in a explained certain scenes, or he would explain certain ideas or quotes that would make us think at what was going on during that particular part of the movie which I thought was brilliant on the writers part. What made this movie stand out is that some of these people were not really big actors, they did not have a long list of movies to their name and they seemed genuine. Another thing I noticed When I saw the credits was that, the main character played wonderfully by Brit Marling was also the co-writer of the film and it seems like these two people Cahill and Marling know how to convey emotion between characters with very little dialogue, that's another thing that I liked about this film was that there was very little dialogue, when there was it was only between one or two characters spaced out throughout the film. It was a film that made you think as Berendzen said in the film; " In this case, there's another you out there." That was one of the main things that Marling's character had to deal with along with redemption for the horrible thing that she did, that maybe she would be able to change it, I have not seen many films with her, but I am glad that I started out with this one. With Mapother, once again I had never seen a movie with him. I had heard of him but never seen any of his work, but after seeing this movie I believe he should get more movies like this one so I can see more of his acting range. This movie also has little to no music put precisely in certain areas of the film to convey different emotions between the two characters. This is the type of movie that will make you think in a good way, and it is done in such an amazing way that every time Berendzen spoke I would go back to here what he said again, and I would that for most of the dialogue that he had. Yes it is a slow paced movie, but if it moved at a different speed I do not think it would have been as effective as it was. This another movie to add on the list of movies to watch because it is really worth it. Cahill and Marling bring a lot to the table with this low budget sci-fi film and in the end, in my opinion it pays off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment