Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 231: The Guard



Directed By- John Michael McDonagh

Written By- John Michael McDonagh

Starring- Brendan Gleeson, Don Cheadle, Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, David Wilmot

Critics Review- "The Guard" is a pleasure. I can't tell if it's really (bleeping) dumb or really (bleeping) smart, but it's pretty (bleeping) good."- Roger Ebert "Chicago Sun-Times)

Rotten Tomatoes Rating- Critics- 95% Audience- 81%

Out of a possible 5 stars- 4 1/2 stars 

My Review-

I do not even know where to begin with this movie, I think that just might be my new favorite black comedy, and one of the reasons is because of Brendan Gleeson. Gleeson has always been a good actor in the films that he has been in; Harry Potter, In Bruges, and 28 Days Later. In this movie he was fucking brilliant he was the best part of this movie along with the scenes he had with Don Cheadle who was also great in this movie. This had the kind of comedy I like, with some funny scenes that seem like it came straight out of a Guy Ritchie film. This movie had me from when I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be a great movie because it had Brendon Gleeson and it was going to be a dark comedy which from those types of movie I tend to like more since sometimes they are indie films. I think the only true problem I had with this movie is that I was surprised that Mark Strong was not the main antagonist and he was just a henchman which was weird to see. This movie is really smart in certain ways and can be very, very funny in one scene then really serious in the next. I believe that most of it has to deal with is that they are in Ireland it was really hard to understand what some of them were saying at times, even with subtitles on. I think it's these types of movies that are at times underrated and are not talked about as much when it is released. This movie should be watched if you like these types of movies or if you just want to see Brendan Gleeson as a main role since we have seen him in supporting roles for sometime now. Gleeson makes the film as an unorthodox Irish policeman who has a different way of doing his police business, it's like he does not care or just doesn't care at times. Don Cheadle does a good job as the FBI agent who teams up with Gleeson to stop a drug smuggling gang, which you would think Gleeson would not be a part of but even though he does things unorthodox way he still has some integrity to him which we see in a few scenes. There are also some side characters that come in every so often that just add more comedy to the film, and some of the scenes that they came in were to me really random but just made it funnier. If you have not seen this movie then you should watch it, it is pretty fucking good, just wish it had been a little longer, but other than that I really enjoyed it. And I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment